Monday, September 26, 2011

Officially 'Fall' in Denver

During this past week, as the days clicked over, it happened that 'Fall' occurred. Officially that is, because it's been happening all month!!  As previously alluded to, a cool change came, and the cool temps stayed!!  Cool, fresh, nippy mornings and warm glorious days.  I am reminded entirely of Easter.  This is the season to go camping, and pull out the woollies, only to strip them off as the day progresses.  I love Spring, I enjoy the Summer, but those who know me well, know that I especially love the Autumn and then Winter rain, when you can get all cosy inside with soup and cheese scones.  It may be due to the fact that I am a winter baby, but not here!!  Here in Denver, I am upside-down!!  It feels like Easter, but it's not!! (And there are pots of chrysanthemums in the shops, and it's not nearing Mother's Day!) 
No matter!  I am enjoying watching the leaves slowly turn colour from their vibrant and earthy greens to be brushed with gold, yellow and orange, tinged with brown.  In my mind, I am a great watercolourist painting breathtaking images of beauty to adorn walls as a longlasting reminder of this change of season.  ... ... oops!  Sorry, I got caught up in a little daydreaming there!!


This coming weekend, Rick and I and anyone else enthusiastic enough to join us, are heading for the mountains to appreciate the trees!!  Our neighbourhoods are becoming very pretty, but there has already been some snow in the mountains and we are told 'Fall' can be very short.  We could miss it all if we don't go and have a look! 

Tom's fabulous Pavlova!

Also in this past week, Tom and I spent some 'quality' time together!  On Tuesday for instance, we made pavlova's for the Relief Society Activity and then chilled watching the cooking channel on TV!! (because, we can!!)  We watched this great Red Potato & Tomato Salad being made, which Tom quickly looked up on the net, and we made it for dinner.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/red-potato-and-tomato-salad-recipe/index.html 

Mmm! Quite sensational!  He made it again on Thursday with Chicken Parmisiana when we had missionaries over for dinner.  Very nice work Tom!  Oh, and the Pav's were a hit too!!  I'm quite satisfied you won't starve as a missionary!!

On Wednesday, Tom & I went over to the Park Meadows Shopping Mall.  It is pretty classy and a very nice place to shop.  We spent a few hours looking at clothes that might suit a missionary and found some great 'pieces' with a price to accompany them.  In the end we did exceptionally well at Macy's, taking advantage of the sales.  I think we have all the main items on the list now.  Just the bits and pieces to go.  We also need to have his suitcase repaired. The handle area was damaged in the flight over here, and it needs to last the next two years of transfers!!

Thursday found me back at Watercolour classes.  I have repainted this study and am satisfied now. We are studying rocks and light sources.  It's practice, practice. 

Study: Aspens, rocks and light source

Study: 'the Flat Irons' near Boulder, Colorado. (In particular, the sky wash)
Thursday is also Cubscout Day.  The boys are currently working on their 'Outdoor' badge so we headed out on a field trip to a local neighbourhood.  Here we studied the native flowers, which I really enjoyed, and noted that Blue Herons favours this area and can be seen most days.  (But not the time of day we went!!)


I'm the Cubscout Den Leader for the Webelo Cubs!
  
Heather teaching the boys

Wildflowers and grasses native to Colorado
 


Friday, I escaped with my good friend Donna, to the movies!!  I have to say, it's just fantastic to do this in the middle of the day, especially with great company.  You really feel like you're playing 'hooky'. (ahh, that means being truant!)  We saw 'The Help' which I thoroughly recommend.  A very thought provoking movie of racial segregation in the sixties.

During all of this, there is the gym three mornings a week, as well as cheerleading practice three mornings, cheer games in the afternoon, home seminary and homework.  Tom also managed to pick up some extra shifts (so it wasn't ALL cooking and shopping!).  So, we keep ourselves busy and the days are passing quickly.  It was so good to chat with Karlie this week, fortunately we had a good line and talked for about an hour and half.

Saturday evening, both Tom & Sarah went to Homecoming Dances at different High Schools.  Tom and Kelland went with 'dates' to Dakota Ridge High, and Sarah went to Bear Creek High.  It really is a big deal, and the kids looked lovely all dressed up!  They both had great fun, and are very lucky!!

Tom and Kelland sporting bow ties 'for fun!'  Yes, I'm sure the girls will be surprised!!

Tom and Kelland all ready to meet their 'dates'. Tom knows his, but Kelland's is 'blind!'
Finally, just a quick anecdote from my Primary Class.  I have been substituting the 9yr old class at church for the past 6 weeks, and this past Sunday was my last time with them.  They are a great class, nine, nine year olds.  Which means some weeks they are very attentive and some not.  My challenge has been to capture their attention for the 45 minutes or so of class time!!  I've loved it.  So, I decided to give them something to remind them of this time.  A small clip-on Koala we picked up from the souvineer shop before we left Adelaide.  We had just enough and they loved them!  I told them about Koalas, how they live in the Gum trees, clinging to the branches and to their mother's backs.  I hoped it would remind them to 'cling' to their Heavenly Father and the Gospel.  Later in singing time, Maya asked me "what flavour are the gum trees? Are they sweet?"  I had forgotten to explain that Gum trees were in fact 'eucalyptus' trees, (not bubble gum trees), and that's where they get that funny smelling stuff that clears your blocked nose!!! 

Aahh!! This is a big world, with so much to experience!!

Just to illustrate our different worlds, this sign is at the local playground right next to the swings and slides!!

No comments:

Post a Comment