Monday, November 7, 2011

Snow, Leaves & Cheerleading!!

The second Snow of the season as
Sarah goes off to school..
This week Elder Tom Bennallack celebrated his 19th birthday in the MTC.  We heard from him the following day on his P-Day with another wonderful email.  He had a wonderful day, and one to remember being in the MTC.  He departs for Melbourne this coming Monday.  We love hearing from our missionaries twice a week now, Jon on Monday and Tom on Wednesday.  Happy Birthday Elder T. Bennallack!

For us, our days are passing with the usual industrious activity.  However, whether it's ALL productive is a moot point!  The temperature has really fallen.  We have had two snowfalls now and that seems to have marked the oncoming of winter for certain. 

The second snow fall happened exactly one week after the first. (Just to remind us that Tom left the week before!!)  The next day after a gym session, I decided to walk to Rick's school to pick up the car.  The trouble with central heating and car heaters is that you get an odd sense of how cold it actually is outside, especially when the morning is so gorgeous.  The sun was not long up, the skies were a beautiful 'cobalt' blue and whiteness covered everything like a blanket.  Sparkling snow, brilliant white in the morning sun. After checking the thermometer hanging outside the kitchen window, I thought twice about my excursion, but then decided to still venture out into the cold morning.  I had two layers on my legs, a ski jacket on, gloves and a beanie.  The temperature read -20F, which is -9C !!  After only five minutes of walking, my cheeks were aching badly, however the rest of me was starting to warm up nicely.  I then had to rub my face as I'm walking along.  After fifteen minutes, I couldn't feel my cheeks at all and it was as far to continue, as it was to turn back.  I was glad to get to the school, just in time to catch Rick on 'before school' yard duty, in the snow!!  Unfortunately, I had no camera as evidence..  The snow and cold is beautiful to look at, and you imagine how cold it might be, but to experience it first hand is incredible.  Words cannot describe how cold this cold is!!  (I'm definitely getting pics after the next snow!)

Amazingly, this same day, the temperature slowly crept up to 50F which is about 10C, and all morning sounds of the snow dripping and falling from the tree branches could be heard.  By mid afternoon, it was mostly gone!



The back yard as seen from the green belt after the snow.
 Since then, Rick & I have raked the front yard of leaves to keep our place tidy.  What a job, there was huge piles!!  We still have to tackle the back yard, and this might be a job for the coming weekend.  Well, this is part of the experience, 'Fall', with it's mountains of leaves.  (I actually really like it!!)


The other main thing to occupy us is Cheerleading.  We are in the middle of the competition season.  As mentioned, the first one was held at Eaglecrest, followed by a break for Halloween weekend, then during this week on Tuesday, the Jeffco County Spirit League Competition was held at Ralston High in Aurora. The next is tomorrow at Douglas County with different opponents. 

I have to pause and spend a bit of time here, since this is a big part of our lives at the moment.  In this particular competition, there were three divisions; JV Cheer, Varsity Cheer and Co-Ed Cheer.  In Sarah's division, there were eight other schools they competed against.  The actual routine is rehearsed, refined, and rehearsed again lasting a total of two and half minutes.  Weeks of early morning sessions and Tuesday night Tumbling have paid off, because..... Sarah's JV Cheer Team from Columbine High came in FIRST place!!  Followed by the Varsity Team who also took First!

She's a winner tonight!!

The Columbine JV Cheer Team - the winning squad!!

The JV Cheer Team and the Varsity Team with Ms Doolan (AP) & Mr DeAngeles (Principal)
This was such an exciting moment!  Such a buzz... I was jumping up and down with the rest of the 'Mom's' in the bleachers!  I have to confess, I am now a genuine 'CHEER MOM!'   Oh, Wow!  I think I might have to get one of those T-Shirts too!   Wow! Bring it On!!  What an amazing effort girls and well done Sarah!  You did it!  An American Cheerleader!

A winning performance!  Sarah is a 'baser' who lifts and catches a 'flyer'. 
She is positioned mostly centre back. (Apologise for the poor quality video!)


As a change of subject, I have so enjoyed my Wednesday morning watercolour classes and continue to learn much from Chuck.  Here are some of my latest efforts..


Still life


Mountains & Reflections

Rock Study

Lighthouse in Maine, Eastcoast of USA

Waterfall on 'Yupo' paper
Finally, this week, Kelland received his mission call to the Brazil, San Diego Mission!  It was a very exciting moment that he shared with us.  He departs on the 28 March 2012.  Tom will be so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment