Friday, December 30, 2011

"Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow!"


Monday morning, 5 December, I was invited to a visiting teaching Christmas lunch at Dixie's home.  Dixie will forever remain one of my most favourite people.  I just love her.  She and Janine organised a really beautiful lunch.  The food and table looked incredible.  I just regret not taking a photo of this beautiful christmas table with the crisp, white, snowy yard seen through the window and a fire blazing.  Wow!  The Christmas season in the northern hemisphere is really something, especially combined with wonderful friends like this.. 




Michelle & Chuck Danford. 
See Chuck's work: http://www.charlesdanford.com/
Wednesday morning was my final Watercolour Art Class with Chuck Danford at Ken Caryl Ranch house. (very sad!) I cannot express how much I have really loved this pursuit this year! I have learned so much from Chuck and love his talent and patience as he has encouraged us.  His critiques are always positive but honest!  I have learned to really take on board what he suggests.  Hopefully I have learned enough of the basic technques to continue on my own until I find another art group, and Chuck will kindly continue to critique my work via email.  I have been asked a few times why don't I try oils, or acrylics?  I will one day, but for now I really want to master watercolours which has a life of it's own.  Perhaps one day I will be able to exhibit and have the same faith and confidence in myself that Chuck does.  Meanwhile, I have been able to give away a few paintings which has given me enormous pleasure.  I am actually amazed that someone likes my work enough to put it on their wall!!  I would encourage anyone remotely interested, to take one of his classes, you will really enjoy it!!

(The next 6 week course  begins on the 1st Feb 2012 9.00-12.00noon.)
https://direct2rec.ken-carylranch.org/econnect/Activities/ActivitiesAdvSearch.asp



Following this last art class, I was able to meet up with some dear friends from church for lunch at Chilli's.  Many thanks to DeAnne for organising this!  I was sitting in the centre position somewhere, just listening to the chatter going on all around me watching these dear women who have truely touched my life here in Denver and who I call friends.  I am overwhelmed by their love and friendship and will sincerely miss their association.  This was a wonderful visit together, which was over too soon..


L-R:  -, Dixie, Michelle,Donna, Kami, Babzanne, Jennifer, Linda,
Crista, Michelle Ballard, Rosemary & Cheryl

A huge serving of salad which I
had to 'box' up! (Very delicious!)

That evening, I was able to help DeAnne set up a blog for her son who is serving in Russia!  What a wonderful thing technology is, that we are able to share our life experiences and thoughts with loved ones on the other side of the world, or anyone interested to read!!  Good luck with it all DeAnne!


This week, I have been finishing paintings for a Christmas gifts, posting to Elder J Bennallack in France, last minute Christmas shopping and of course sorting & packing.  I have also been busy for a couple of weeks now cleaning! Washing windows, wiping out cupboards, skirting boards and walls and so on..  This is helping me to 'feel' like we are leaving, even though my mind doesn't want to deal with it!!  Our main concern has been to find shipping company to take our excess belongings, a bulk of which belongs to Tom!  Finally, Rick found a company that shipped for .45c a pound.  We ended up preparing 280 pounds, 4 large boxes!!  This did include items from a fun shopping excursion with Cheryl at Hobby Lobby!  (Why haven't we done that before??)  On Thursday, our boxes left, and so did a lot of anxiety!!  We can travel alot easier now..

Thursday afternoon was the last session of cubscouts.  As a breakup activity before the holidays, the Wolves and the Webelo dens combined.  First they made card messages and then we went to the home of a member in our ward who has been seriously ill and sang carols to them.  Two large cars of noisy, excited boys which we hoped would behave at the door!!  However noisy they were on the approach, they were brilliant at the door.  I must insert here, that at this point it's getting dark and Christmas house lights are on.  The ground has layers of ice and snow is still pretty thick, so it's also very cold.  It's a scene you might see on a TV movie, and I loved it.  What a great way to finish off my American experience of being a Cubscout Den Leader!!  And many thanks to my Den partner, Heather.  It's been so good working with you, and I'll miss you and your family!


I haven't mentioned this much, but most Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, my good friend and neighbour, Cheryl Reardon takes me with her to the 24Fit gym.  We even started going at 6.30am!  Are we crazy, yes!  But it was so good at the same time.  Many thanks Cheryl, I have loved going with you and treasure our friendship.  I will miss this greatly..  Friday morning was sadly our last work out together.  So, from now on, when I next get myself disciplined to exercise regularly, I will think often of Cheryl and her many stories!! 
Cheryl & Me, friends, neighbours and workout buddies!! (Don't we look fit!!)

Leaving accomodation of any sort in spick 'n span condition, despite careful preparations still is a tad stressful.  On Friday, Dixie and Janine came to my rescue and helped me with the last of the windows and final clean of the basement etc.  It only took a couple of hours and was greatly appreciated.  We were able to leave the house spic and span with everything in order by Saturday afternoon..  well, that is, nearly able to!  We had arranged to stay with the Mercer's on Saturday night so we could be finished with the house, but just before Jeff came to pick us up, the front door swung open a little too fast (again) and the door knob popped a hole in the newly repaired wall!  It was just one of those things!  So Rick set about repairing it again!! 


Saturday night, there was a dance on at Columbine which gave Sarah a chance for final goodbyes.  She enjoyed that.  Meanwhile, the Mercer family took Rick & I into downtown Denver to see the Christmas lights, and surprised us with a carriage ride tour!!  How wonderful and how kind!! 


It was so Christmassy with lights up all over the various streets and buildings throughout the CBD.  There was still snow on the ground from the week before, so pretty cold, but we were rugged up.  We so enjoyed that!  Many thanks Donna & Jeff!


Afterwards we escaped the crowded city restaurants and found 'Beaujo's Pizza.  Delicious!!  A great evening. 

Once back home at the Mercer's, Jeff kindly took Rick back to the house so he could finish the wall, and me to SuperTarget so I could stock up on make-up supplies that are so much cheaper than in Australia!!

The next morning at church was extremely bitter-sweet.  How we have greatly loved this ward.  Everything about it.  We have been shown so much love and friendship by so many people and we are thankful and grateful for the many rich experiences we have had... Thank you Clement Park Ward.  Thank you.  As I write this, I am getting misty again thinking of all the wonderful people who have touched our lives.  But what treasured memories, I am sure we will meet again one day...

It was so nice to spend this time with the Mercer Family.  We sure do love and apprieciate them!  Well, after a teary visit from Sarah's friend Chelsee, the final juggling of luggage to get the weight correct, and after Donna fed us with delicious Taco's, the time for departure arrived.  The hour journey to the airport was over far too soon, then we were checking luggage in.  With Jeff's help we were able to get one extra bag on, all the way to Auckland.  Out of the vast windows of DIA, I could see the fields of white snow.  It's a last glimpse.  The security area is a formiddable place!!  It can be an exciting challenge to pass through if you are on your way to an adventure, but a hindrance if you are departing for the last time.  Final goodbyes are tough, even though we are looking forward to seeing our own family, we have grown to love the Mercer's like our own. 


The Bennallack's and the Mercer's, it's hard to say goodbye..
What treasured friends who have shared such a lot with us.  They are hoping to come and spend Christmas with us in Adelaide in two years when Tom is home, so hopefully we will see them again soon..


Goodbye Denver! Goodbye..  A piece of our hearts will always be here.

A last look at Denver before heading above the Rockies
Wow! What a year....

1 comment:

  1. Missing my Aussie friend and wishing you the best back in your home country. Dixie

    ReplyDelete